Relaxation is actually the opposite of stress. It is a natural response system designed to relieve the body of stress. Under normal conditions, this is a natural process which the body utilises. However, it can also be applied through relaxation techniques such as meditation, whenever you choose to do so.
Some characteristics of the relaxation response include;
- breathing becomes slow and deep
- tension decreases in muscles
- a sense of confidence and calm is experienced
- organ function returns to normal
- the ability to think clearly is enhanced
- memory improves
- increased mental clarity, ability to concentrate and focus
- easier to fall asleep and gain a better quality of sleep
- increased productivity during the day
- stress hormones return to normal levels
Regularly inducing the relaxation response is most effective in improving day to day living, and results in increased control over the body’s responses to stress. This can also help reduce and sometimes reverse any damage caused by the stress.