This technique for dissociating from your emotions in meditation also works just as well if you are feeling emotions in any circumstance.
- From being in your emotional state, visualise yourself pulling back and out of your body so that your emotional self is in front of you.
- Observer yourself, observe the emotions that version of you is feeling and notice how those emotions are with that other version of you and no longer in you.
- Observe any lessons or learnings you can gain from this perspective.
- Pull back from your emotional self even further and imagine you are at the back of a cinema, viewing the emotional you on a screen
- Again, observe if there are any lessons or learnings you can gain from this perspective.
- Imagine you have a remote control that controls the cinema.
- Turn the colours down to black and white, shrink the picture down super small and when all connection to that emotion has gone, turn it off
- Either continue with the meditation or bring yourself back to fully alert consciousness.